- Night observation of animals as they frequent the waterholes. Animals to look out for in the Aberdares and Mt Kenya waterholes are the elusive rare bongo, buffalo, rhino, elephants and other herbivores.
- Optional visits to the local villages; the vibrant Samburu and Masai tribes which are closely related in terms of language and traditions.
- Enjoy optional activities at the lodges such as tree planting exercises, nature walks, cultural dances, balloon rides over the plains and bush breakfasts or dinners
- Observe animals endemic to the North of Kenya (Samburu) such as Grevy’s zebra with huge fury ears, the elegant long-necked gerenuk antelope, Somali ostriches with distinct blue legs and the shy Oryx.
- Numerous flamingoes, pelicans and rhinoceros in Lake Nakuru
- The spectacle of the wildebeest migration in July/ August in Mara
- Maximise on game viewing in Amboseli and mara to increase your chances of seeing the Big 5 – elephants, rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard and other game
This lodge safari takes you to Kenya’s fertile central highlands, to the northern frontier of Samburu game reserve, to the world famous bird and rhino sanctuary – Lake Nakuru, then South over the Mau Escarpment to Kenya’s greatest concentration of game – the Masai Mara. The waterholes at the tree lodges allow a unique alternative to the usual game viewing from the confines of a vehicle as you can observe buffalo, rhino and various other herbivores leisurely whilst enjoying a sundowner.
Day 1 – Tree Hotel
Pick up from your Nairobi hotel early and drive to Mount Kenya or the Aberdare Ranges to a Tree Hotel or lodge which overlooks floodlit waterholes frequented by wildlife. As dusk ensues, we enjoy a relaxing sun downer whilst viewing game as they gradually approach the waterhole – a truly magical experience.
Day 2 – Samburu
After breakfast we proceed further north across the Equator to the edge of the Northern Frontier; Samburu game reserve. Arrival will be in time for lunch and an afternoon game drive in this diverse landscape of thorn scrub, red dirt, dried river beds, broken volcanic rock, steep hills, and rocky outcroppings. We return to the lodge/tented camp for a sun downer and sumptuous dinner.
Day 3 – Samburu
A full day spent exploring the park – unique both in scenery and wildlife. The region is home to the uncommon Grevy’s zebra with huge fury ears, gerenuk antelope standing on hind legs to feed, Somali ostriches with distinct blue legs and the shy Oryx. Elephant and crocodile are guaranteed sightings, excellent bird watching with numerous varieties of weaverbirds and the martial eagle
Day 4 – Nakuru National Park
Very early departure towards Lake Nakuru with packed lunches arriving in time for an afternoon game drive in the park. This park covers only 180 sq km and is home to black and white rhinos, flamingos, warthogs, waterbuck, buffaloes, reedbucks, and the occasional leopard. Check in to the lodge/tented camp thereafter to enjoy sundowners and dinner.
Day 5 – Masai Mara National Reserve
Morning breakfast and game drive before departing this park with packed lunces for Masai Mara National Reserve. Arrive in time for an afternoon game drive looking for Masai giraffe, baboons, warthogs, bat eared foxes, grey jackals, spotted hyena, topis, impala, hartebeests, wildebeest. Elephants, buffaloes, zebras and hippos also exist in great numbers. It is also common to see lions either basking after a heavy meal, or surveying the plains for their next meal. Cheetahs and leopards are harder to spot but are still reasonably common.
Day 6 – Masai Mara National Reserve
The day is spent game viewing, in the early morning hours and in the evenings as this is when we have the best chances of seeing wildlife. The ultimate action here is without doubt the annual wildebeest exodus in July and August when millions of these grass eaters move into Mara from the Serengeti in search of lusher grass. Optional activities include balloon rides, visit to Masai village or school, night game drives and nature walks depending on the property you are staying at.
Day 7 – Nairobi
After breakfast we enjoy a last morning game drive before departing back to Nairobi with packed lunches. Drop off at your hotel or airport depending on your arrangements.
END OF SERVICES.